Home Music Industry News Singer's Husband Died of Accidental Overdose

Singer's Husband Died of Accidental Overdose

A coroner has ruled that an accidental overdose of methadone and alcohol killed the husband of -songwriter Corinne Bailey Rae, reports say.

Police found the body of Scottish-born Jason Rae, 31, at a flat in the Hyde Park area of Leeds, Yorkshire, on March 22. Leeds Coroner’s Court said the saxophonist had alcohol and methadone, a heroin substitute, in his blood.

He also found traces of and ecstasy during the post-mortem examination, but said those would not have contributed to Mr. Rae’s death. Coroner David Hinchliff gave a verdict of “death by misadventure,” according to Eurweb..

Bailey Rae, 29, met her husband at a Leeds jazz club where she was working as a cloakroom attendant. They married in 2001.

In a statement read by the coroner in court, the singer, who was not present, said her husband had struggled with alcohol for “a few .”

“My husband is my first and only ,” she said. “He is the most beautiful and complex person I have ever known. He is utterly irreplaceable.”

Rae’s band played as a backing band for , Mark Ronson and Bailey Rae herself, and had recently released a , “ Damn!,” at the time of his death.

Corinne Bailey Rae

CEO of RF Focus, Radio and Music Industry Veteran. Radio DJ, Programmer, Musician and Voice Talent. Graduated from Performing Arts in Buffalo, N.Y. and worked at the legendary KKBT (92.3 The Beat) during its nationwide heyday in the early 90s. Also worked for Stevie Wonder at KJLH.