Many have criticized urban radio about their lack of coverage or minimal coverage of the situation in Ferguson, MO. Radio hasn’t been completely absent from the situation as I have heard coverage on several station. In fact, Rickey Smiley Show co-host, Claudia Jordan was on the scene in Ferguson at the press conference when officer Darren Wilson’s name was released as the law enforcement official that shot and killed unarmed black teenager, Mike Brown.
Radio One is about to step it up more than a notch as Hot 104.1 FM and Old School 95.5 FM, stations of Radio One, Inc. will convene a Town Hall Meeting to discuss not only the unrest in Ferguson, but address the impeding violence, socio-economic and law enforcement issues facing African-Americans. The meeting will broadcast live on both stations. It will also be live streamed by Interactive One, Radio One Inc.’s digital company at www.newsone.com
Moderated by Shorty da Prince and Demetrius Johnson of Radio One, members of the media are invited to witness the lively multi-disciplinary panel of national and local speakers:
- Music/Entertainment – Murphy Lee (St. Lunatics)
- Law Enforcement – Major Robinson STL City Police
- Chief Dotson, STL City Police
- Politicians – Alderman Lewis Reed, Board President, Aldermen City of St. Louis
- Community – James Clark, Better Family Life
- Myisa Whitloc, St. Louis RISE
- Alice Prince, SLATE
- Legal – Anthony Gray, Esq. – Attorney for the Michael Brown Family
- Media- Sharon Reed, KMOV TV (CBS affiliate)
On Tuesday August 26, 2014 all the aforementioned participants will convene at Harris Stowe State University at the Dr. Henry Givens Jr. Administration Building Main Auditorium. The town hall meeting starts at 6pm and ends at 8pm. PST. We will be sure to bring you all the updates from the interactive broadcast.