Can I get a brief moment of silence for my Twenties…
I hit a milestone this week and officially entered into the “30 Club.” Yes, I am finally a Senior Millennial. It’s an interesting feeling. Mostly excited and blessed to make it to see 30 (because so many don’t). But also a reflection period on my twenties that were everything that 20’s should be and more. I decided to write an open letter to my 20’s and to hopefully help a 20 something out there to navigate this crazy and phenomenal thing we call life. So here goes.. my 20 for 20.
- It’s ok not to have all the answers and know “where you will be in the next 5-10 years.”
- Trust yourself more. Be comfortable and confident in exactly who you are in this present moment.
- Be careful of who you share your dreams with. Not everyone has the vision you have, and why should they? It’s your dreams.
- You will lose people along with way (people you thought were friends, mentors, supporters, etc). It’s ok.
- Don’t let other people’s opinions of you, change who you are or rule how you live.
- Go for everything that you ever wanted. Don’t stop yourself short.
- While doing #6, remember that chasing dreams and goals will require sacrifice. Be ready for the hustle.
- Take chances, not only professionally but personally as well. Step out your comfort zone, go on that blind date, travel, move to a new city, do something new every month! LIVE!
- Ask for what you want. Whether it’s a promotion or a new plate of food at a restaurant, SPEAK UP! Know what you are worth.
- It’s ok to be broke and happy. Save what you can and but don’t plan so much for the future that the present gets away from you.
- Don’t punish yourself for past mistakes. Learn from each one, don’t repeat them (when possible). Oh, and don’t allow others to punish you for your past either. If you can’t change the people, change the people.
- Be selfish, it’s ok. Take time off, unplug from the world, sleep (like really sleep), do what makes you happy as much as possible. Life is literally too short not to.
- Keep the haters at bay. They will always be there,but don’t let them get into your mental space.
- Get healthy (like beyond just summer body goals.) Healthy = mental, spiritual and physical.
- Forgive others, for your sanity and peace. It’s fun to be petty for awhile, but eventually let that go! It will eat away at your core.
- What is meant for you, will be for you. I am a firm believer that things happen for a reason. It may hurt or piss you off in the moment, and you may not always understand why. But things will always work out the way they need to for your benefit. Stay the course.
- Everyone has a season. Stop comparing yourself to the next person. Don’t let people or social media make you feel some kind of way about not being “where you should/thought you would be.”
- Stop faking it. Nothing is worse than creating a life facade,it will always crumble (publicly or privately). Be true. Be you. That is enough.
- Trust your gut. Every decision, every interaction, every opportunity. Flex that intuition muscle as much as possible.
- LOVE YOURSELF, each and every day. You will have bad days, you will get mad at yourself, but never stop loving yourself. Be obsessed with the person you continue to become.
Cheers to the last decade and stepping confidently into the next one! To the 20 somethings.. make it count, it goes fast! And for those close to joining the 30 club, here’s a good ol’ Buzzfeed laugh: https://www.buzzfeed.com/jessicamisener/30-signs-youre-almost-30?utm_term=.jpZAyBJV0p#.vpGqWA6knx
Until next time, stay dope Gen Y!