Master of the Mix marks the first venture into reality television for SMIRNOFF “and we couldn’t be more thrilled at the opportunity to work with some of the most influential leaders in the music industry,” said David Tapscott, SMIRNOFF Brand Director. “SMIRNOFF has always been a part of the nightlife culture, encouraging responsible partying for years and since we’re working with some of the most influential DJs who control the night, the partnership between the two spaces feels natural to us.”
The competition kicked off November 3rd with approx 800, 000 viewers tuning into the DJ’s base camp of a luxurious home in the Hollywood Hills. The show follows the DJ’s as they are challenged to move the crowds from city to city including Las Vegas, Miami, Los Angeles, New York and London.
Judged on their technical ability, track selection, originality, and crowd response, the DJ’s will be competing for the title of Master of the Mix, as well as $250,000 in cash and prizes, including a personalized SMIRNOFF bottle. Kid Capri, who deejayed for Russell Simmons’ Def Comedy Jam and has produced sessions for Heavy D, Boogie Down Productions, and Quincy Jones, will anchor the judging booth, while notable industry veterans such as Biz Markie will make guest appearances throughout the season.
DJ Mars, a native of Springfield, MA, has worked as the DJ for Keri Hilson, Monica, Kelis, and Ne-Yo among others. Founder of The World Famous Super Friends Crew, Mars is the only dj reppin from Atlanta in the competition. Others competing for the title of The Master of the Mix include:
- DJ Rap, also known as the Queen of the Turntables and first lady of Drum n: Bass, who has over three million in cumulative worldwide sales to her name, voted top female DJ in the world 7 years in a row
- DJ Revolution, Los Angeles-based resident DJ for The Wakeup Show with Sway and King Tech. Widely known for his scratching ability, he has released several critically acclaimed self-produced solo albums and shared the stage with many legendary artists.
- Rich Medina Founder of Jump N Funk (2001), the original Fela Kuti Tribute Party, Little Ricky’s Rib Shack at APT (one of NYC’s longest running weekly residencies ever), and Rock Steady Crew DJ. Rich also produced “Watchin’ Me” for Jill Scott.
- DJ Scratch, New Music Seminar DJ World Champion, three-time Grammy nominated producer, third member of the legendary group EPMD. Scratch has produced for Busta Rhymes and Flipmode Squad, 50 Cent, LL Cool J, DMX, and Q-Tip.
- DJ Vikter Duplaix, Grammy nominated DJ, producer & recording artist, who has released several solo albums in addition to producing for Erykah Badu, Earth, Wind and Fire, Eric Benet, Bilal and many others.